Saturday 26 December 2009

Vic Chesnutt RIP

So sad to hear about the death of Vic Chesnutt. The Jacksonville born singer became an important part of the Athens, Georgia music scene and a huge inspiration for Michael Stipe who produced Vic's first two solo albums.

I must admit I was never a huge Vic Chesnutt fan. But I discovered him through my love of REM and quickly got the albums About To Choke and Is The Actor Happy? and I was instantly hooked by Vic's unique fragile delivery, beautiful and dark songwriting and his strength of character. Later it was Silver Lake and the wonderful Ghetto Bells.

People talk all the time about 'facing adversity' but after a car crash at 18 left him wheelchair bound, just as his career was starting, he fought on. An amazing man. Sadly an overdose left him in a coma from which he did not wake.

Kristin Hersh is leading the tributes. Read her moving reaction here.

RIP Vic.

No comments: