Monday 28 March 2011

Thea Gilmore - Angels In The Abattoir (March 2011)

Nearly the end of another month and the exclusive track for all us Angels Of The Abattoir is a song that was left off probably my favourite Thea Gilmore album, Avalanche. First off it doesn't sound like anything else on Avalanche, which is why it was rejected. Maybe the mix was/is all wrong: here is what Thea says about the song:

"One of the nice things about clearing out your house is that you find all manner of curiosities, and I found a disc with monitor mixes for Avalanche (for those of you who don't know the jargon, a monitor mix is a very rough reference mix of what's been recorded before the real mixing begins) and It had on it a song that never made it onto the album.. so I thought I'd send it to you because I always liked it and regretted not finishing it".

One thing I love about Avalanche is how 'space-aged' it sounds and I can't imagine this song with that sort of production. It is a solid, tuneful, stripped-down acoustic piece but one wonders what it would have sounded like given a bit more time and different arrangement. Guess we will never know. Oh it also features Robbie McIntosh (from Paul McCartneys band, Pretenders et al) and backing vocals by Dave Hull-Denholm who used to be in Lindisfarne.

No comments: