Wednesday 6 August 2008

ABBA

Yes you read the title of this entry correctly. Abba.

The reason for the post is a news story about Telegraph writer Neil McCormick and his recent article about how he hates the pop group. The article is here.

I am not going to defend what he says or defend Abba. I quite like some of their songs. I happen to think that Knowing Me, Knowing You is about as close to a perfect song as anything. No really. What I want to do is defend the right to be a critic. To say what you believe is right. It may not be true as music is purely subjective, and in this case some of the language is very heavy-handed and designed to provoke debate - which it has, rather successfully, but saying he is wrong is wrong in itself. It can't be wrong as it is his opinion. You may not agree but that is life.

What I find tragic about all this is the reaction piece from McCormick himself entitled ABBA It's War! I think he might be confused about the concept of war. I am more worried about that.

No comments: