Wednesday 6 August 2008

The Tragically Hip - They Shoulda Been Huge!

I was asked to write a short piece entitled 'They Shoulda Been Huge!' about a band no one has heard of but are a big deal to me. It was either this or something about a band who are huge and I just don't get called 'I just don't get....' As soon as decided against a negative piece about Kings Of Leon, one band came to mind immediately: The Tragically Hip. Who?, you ask. Exactly. That is the whole point.

Here is what I submitted:
Often described as Canada's best kept secret The Tragically Hip are one of my favourite bands. I joined their fan base when a friend of mine forced me to listen to the 1992 album 'Fully Completely'. Immediately hooked, I went out and bought the album and was surprised to find it only cost me a few pounds. It was the late 1990s and the band had just released a live album 'Live Between Us', capturing their energetic best and playing like a greatest hits. The highlight of this wonderful set is the five and half minute epic 'Nautical Disaster' which is one of the best live songs I have ever heard.

By the time I added 'Trouble At The Henhouse' and 'Day For Night' to my collection, I was completely obsessed with The Tragically Hip. Every song is meticulously crafted and has a story to tell. Lead singer Gorden Downie brings such a passion and energy to the lyrics through his compelling vocals. He is often compared to Michael Stipe (R.E.M.). Guitarists Rob Baker and Paul Langlois are massively underrated and can always be relied upon to deliver; the whole band have a dynamic that shines through in their songs.

Even after the initial massive success of 'Fully Completely' and subsequent albums such as 'Music@Work' and the utterly brilliant 'In Violet Light', The Tragically Hip has never become a world-wide name. Even though they are huge in Canada, they never made it in the US and have more of a following in the UK. It is incredibly frustrating when you hear of a new number one single and you can pick any song from five or six albums that are infinitely better. And hardly anyone has heard them. That is the way the music industry works these days. But as long as these supreme Canadian poets continue to write songs The Tragically Hip will always be one of my favourite bands.
-- CS

No comments: