Monday 8 September 2008

Mercury Music Prize 2008

I'm a bit slow with this but it's only just come to my attention that it is Mercury Music time.

The 2008 Albums are:
  • Adele - 19
  • British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
  • Burial - Untrue
  • Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
  • Estelle - Shine
  • Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
  • Neon Neon - Stainless Style
  • Portico Quartet - Knee-Deep in the North Sea
  • Rachel Unthank & The Winterset - The Bairns
  • Radiohead - In Rainbows
  • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
  • The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement
As is typical of this award, it is a mix of mainstream bands plus a few honorary extras. I can't comment on Portico Quartet and I haven't heard all of the Rachel Unthank & The Winterset album, Shine by Estelle or Neon Neon's Stainless Style. My money is on Robert Plant & Alison Krauss. I hope Laura Marling doesn't win as it will kill her career (see Gomez) but there is a good outside chance from Elbow, British Sea Power and Adele. But it could easily go to Burial or Radiohead.

Notable absentees are Coldplay (a good thing!), Portishead, Goldfrapp and Duffy which is a real surprise.

If it was down to me, my shortlist (based on my current charts) would be:
  • I Want You To Know That There Is Always Hope - I Was A Cub Scout
  • Peaceful, The World Lays Me Down - Noah And The Whale
  • Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp
  • Third - Portishead
  • We Started Nothing - The Ting Tings
  • The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
  • The Age Of The Understatement - The Last Shadow Puppets
  • Silent Cry - Feeder
  • Songs In A&E - Spiritualized
  • In Rainbows - Radiohead
  • Alas, I Cannot Swim - Laura Marling
  • Welcome To Goon Island - XX Teens
I would also consider adding British Sea Power and Seth Lakeman. Folk music is poorly represented but has a tendancy to be a dark horse. Rachel Unthank & The Winterset are getting fantastic reviews but it is not close enough to the mainstream to make an impact.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you Chirs.

Coldplay's new album is so far from award winning it doesn't bear thinking about, and I can't believe Noah & The Whale weren't nominated. They've produced once of the most distinctive and beautiful albums in years.
And where's Foals?

But the most notable exception for me?

Dan le Sac Vs Scroobious Pip.

I'd have thought that was a nailed on winner this year. Angels is an album awash with the intelligence and creativity that Mercury should be looking for.

To give the award to Radiohead would be largely pointless. From the nominees I'd like to see Laura Marling win but my moneys on British Sea Power or Mr Turner and his Rascal pal.

Chris said...

I must admit I haven't heard Dan le Sac Vs Scroobious Pip - I probably have on the radio but couldn't tell you when.

I don't like Foals but I haven't heard all the album so...

I would love to see Laura Marling win but it's something of a poison chalice these days so maybe not.

The money is on Burial but I never got into that - might be worth another listen :)

Unknown said...

Burial?
Me either. I'm a little ashamed to say I haven't heard of them.

I WILL rectify that forthwith!