Tuesday 4 March 2008

Nine Inch Nails Ghosts update

When I found out NIN released a new album on the web and there was no build-up or hype so most of us were taken by surprise, I dove onto the website as quickly as I could. Problem was that there are a few 'technical' difficulties. I paid my $5 and the link I was sent downloaded an empty zip file. Not a great start. So I sent the website support an email and tried to get the 'free' preview - which is the whole of Ghosts I. Nope. Didn't work either.

Today I finally got sent a link to Ghosts I that works. Basically I don't care if there are problems downloading if Trent (and friends) are giving the first volume away for free. There are bound to be a few niggles and I hope to get the rest of Ghosts very very soon. I better coz Ghosts I is amazing. I have always said that TR is a very good composer. For me, the instrumentals on his albums have always been interesting from A Warm Place to Complication to Hyperpower - they are all great.

Anyone expecting a huge swathe of grinding guitars and hardcore will be disappointed. So far it is subtle, controlled and mature - occasionally ambient and often melodic. It’s not just hours of industrial machinery noises and empty spaces. I will review the entire album when I get it but for now here is a quick summary of Ghosts I…

Track 1 is a piano led dirge.
Track 2 is much of the same with a stronger background buzz.
Track 3 is dark driving beats, samples and guitars.
Track 4 is more whiney guitars and grinding metal.
Track 5 is Twin Peaks at the wrong speed.
Track 6 is delicate plinky-plonky keyboards and cold war strings.
Track 7 is hard drums, sharp edges and guitars.
Track 8 is the same, slowed down with scary feedback.
Track 9 is back to piano and strings.

More to follow…

No comments: