Monday 3 March 2008

Nine Inch Nails release new album on the web

At last Trent Reznor has released an instrumental album - Ghosts I-IV, available on the net for $5 for the download version, $10 for a 2 CD physical release and $300 for a signed limited edition set. There is also a cheaper (ahem) $75 version. Only the download version is available now.

I'm the biggest NIN fan I know and as tempting as the 'limited edition' package is, I can't help feeling that people are messing with the music distribution tranditions a bit too much. Reznor tried a Radiohead-esque experiment with Saul Williams which didn't get expected results but I would pay more for a new NIN album. So why put the whole thing online for practically nothing and then offer outrageously priced special physical releases? Is this the future...I hope not.

Extended Play Music News by Todd Martens - The Envelope - LA Times

No comments: